BHRT can relieve symptoms of hormone imbalance, prevent memory loss, improve cardiovascular health, and bone production, growth and repair.
As you age, your body makes less of certain hormones key to quality of life.Testosterone and estrogen imbalances cause issues like hot flashes, night sweats, low sex drive, sleeplessness, and mood changes. Bioidentical hormone replacement therapy (BHRT) augments natural hormone production, restoring it to normal levels.
BHRT uses compounds identical in molecular structure and chemistry to the hormones naturally produced in your body.Forum Health performs hormone balancing through pellets implanted under the skin. Depending on the needs of each unique patient, we can also deliver hormones through creams, pills, suppositories, and injections.
Benefits of pellets for hormone therapy (HRT) for men and women
Pellet insertion is a safe, effective, and convenient way to augment natural hormone production. You only have to think about it 3–4 times per year!
- Painless and quick: Pellets contain compressed hormones, and insertion takes just a few minutes. Using a local anesthetic, we make a small incision in the upper buttock area. We then use a device to insert pellets about a half-inch under the skin.
- Minimally invasive: The incision required is tiny (about 1 cm). Usually, it doesn’t require stitches and can be closed with a strip of wound closure tape. This falls off by itself after about a week. Pellets are also completely biodegradable under the skin, leaving no residue.
- Short recovery: The recovery period lasts just a few days. Pellets are placed using a sterile technique, so the risk of infection is low.
- Consistent delivery: Once inserted, pellets dissolve slowly over about four months. That means they’ll provide a steady dose of hormones. You’ll avoid the ups and downs seen with other delivery methods like weekly injections.
- Long-term results: You should start feeling effects within a couple weeks — often in the first few days. After one treatment, results typically last for 3–4 months. With other delivery methods, another new dose might be required every week.
- Easy and worry-free: Self-injecting hormones can bring pain, inconvenience, and several side effects not seen with pellets. Additionally, pellet hormones can’t contaminate family members or pets — unlike with creams and gels applied to your skin.
Hormone replacement therapy for women
Estrogen is responsible for over 400 functions in the body. As women age and the body stops producing eggs, natural production of estrogen and progesterone decreases.
At Forum, our clinicians perform the safest, most effective version of hormone therapy as described by the FDA.¹
Most women will start to experience these changes in hormone levels during their late 40s. This can lead to hot flashes and other problems. Changes in hormones can even affect mood and behavior.²
BHRT for women can help ease symptoms of:
- vaginal dryness
- bone thinning, or osteoporosis
- urinary problems
- thinning hair
- sleep problems
- hot flashes and night sweats
- lower fertility
- irregular periods
- concentration and memory difficulties
- smaller breasts and an accumulation of fat in the abdomen
Testosterone therapy for men
BHRT can augment natural testosterone production, restoring it to normal levels. Forum Health performs testosterone balancing through pellets implanted under the skin.
Learn more about testosterone pellet therapy for men.
- (2019) Transdermal delivery of bioidentical estrogen in menopausal hormone therapy: a clinical review, Expert Opinion on Drug Delivery,
- Graham Bronwyn M., Denson Thomas F., Barnett Justine, Calderwood Clare, Grisham Jessica R. (2018) Sex Hormones Are Associated With Rumination and Interact With Emotion Regulation Strategy Choice to Predict Negative Affect in Women Following a Sad Mood Induction, Frontiers in Psychology, https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg.2018.00937
- Anna Cabeca, DO (2019) Hormones & Health: What Many Women Don’t Know, https://drannacabeca.com/blogs/keto-alkaline-diet/hormones-health-what-many-women-don-t-know